preventative care for periodontal disease encouraged by your dentist in Oakville
Gum disease, also known as periodontal disease, is a condition that has the power to destroy a once-healthy smile. Research has also continually identified gum disease as a factor in the development or worsening of numerous health conditions, including diabetes and cardiovascular disease. Because scientists now look at the mouth as an indicator of health, more people are recognizing the value in preventative care for periodontal
When you visit your dentist
at Burloak Centre Dentistry in Oakville
, you receive care that first assesses your risk for gum disease and other oral conditions.
Are you at risk?
A very high percentage of our population has some form of gum disease. Because the infection in gums is progressive, there is immense benefit to early detection and treatment and even more to prevention.
Risk factors that we watch for include:
- Age. Although children may develop gum disease, the risk for his condition increases with age.
- Smoking is one of the leading risk factors for gum disease.
- Poor nutrition. A diet high in sugar poses significant risk to oral health in general.
- Systemic disease. Certain chronic conditions, such as diabetes, can cause system inflammation which, in turn, increases the risk for gum disease.
- Medications. Certain medications, such as some antidepressants, have an effect on the oral environment, increasing risk.
- Individuals who have received treatment for any type of gum disease, even the earliest stage, continue to be at risk for future infection.
Reducing risk with preventative care
Maintaining a healthy smile really does not take much. When you brush and floss your teeth every day and see your dentist at least twice a year, you are making an enormous impact on your oral health. Home care is very simple, though it does require mindfulness.
- Spend a full two minutes brushing. Many people fall short here. Set a timer to see just how long two minutes is.
- Floss every day, using tools designed to help you if necessary.
- After snacks or sugary beverages, rinse your mouth with water.
- Consume a variety of fresh, healthy foods.
The team at Burloak Centre Dentistry
believes in empowering our patients to care for their teeth and gums. We are happy to provide information, guidance through demonstration, and ongoing support to help you enjoy a happy, healthy smile throughout your lifetime.
In addition to preventative care, we offer prompt, effective treatment for gum disease at any stage. Call 905.581.4436
today to schedule your visit.